Evan's Earth Walk

An Author's Journal--Evan Pritchard's open letter to his friends and fans concerning his writings, poetry, music, ideas, conversations, and adventures on the edge of the Native American experience.

Name:
Location: Hudson Valley, New York, United States

I am interested in everyone and everything, and how it all fits together...which used to be normal, now they call me a Renaissance Man. I am the author of Native New Yorkers, and No Word For Time, (both coming into revised paperback in September nationwide) also Native American Stories of the Sacred, Wholehearted Thinking, and many others. To learn more about my non-baseball research log onto www.algonquinculture.org. One of my other blogs is http:/resonancemagazine.blogspot.com; another is http:/peopleofmanitou.blogspot.com

Monday, March 13, 2006

Lightning Round

Tuesday March 14th, 2006; It is really early in the morning and I have piles of work left to do before I can relax and have a vacation. Later today I have to appear in front of the local magistrate for what amounts to a ticket of high velocity, however I can explain everything. I drafted a report/speech/idea sheet for Spitzer concerning global warming like I once did for Jon Edwards. The threat of GW is so strange and crazy that it is hard to propose a "solution" that doesn't sound a little out there, which is part of the problem, however I gave it my best shot. I knew I had to go to MD soon, so I had that one shot, since April 22 is coming soon, just over a month, when Spitzer gives his speech, so there was my window,and it happened to fall between midnight and dawn. I put together the one solution that seems to me to have any real credibility, which is to use green architecture and a certain amount of auto redesigning, but basically invent new machines that scrub the air and suck all the carbon in as we go about our business. My proposal was The 50% solution; that through new inventions we could reduce NYC's CE's by 50% and get other major cities to follow our lead. Of course, I think with this technology and architecture we could do better than 50%, but 50 seems like an envisionable goal for now. In fact, anything less would have no significant impact on the global picture in my opinion. The goal is to get the entire US, city by city, to adopt the new technology, so that we at least reduce the US output of CE's by 50%, which would reduce the global figures by 1/8th. Anything less than that seems futile.
My idea/speech was about five pages, based on some speculation on population times 5.5 metric tons per person per year. Bobby Jr would have some more specific stats. Part of it is a draft of a speech that Spitzer could give any time. I can only hope that Allison and Jack see the long term value of this paper as a starting point. I included the phone numbers of Makrand Bhoot, John and Nancy Todd, and Douglas Cardinal. If nothing else, it should lead to a meeting between Spitzers team and my three architects of the future. It should I hope give Spitzer some ideas as to how to position himself not as a man enforcing laws of the last century, but as a man designing a new plan for the new century, a long term vision.

Monday March 13th, Today it was quite warm. I worked on a new Mets article on team batting average and World Series odds. I only got a sketch of it done. I bought an Irish tin whistle as a birthday present for a good friend, who is not as musically inclined as we'd all like. I figured the Irish whistle is hard to play badly.
I listened to a tape I got for 50 cents at a flea market in Port Jervis, all light classics, and it was very beautiful and gave me a smile as I drove my car around. Money can buy happiness, especially if its not much money. The first to come on was Mio Babino Caro all orchestral, by Puccini, my favorite. (I use it in my screenplay Madly In Love, which has not been produced as yet) I was surprised how much I liked Trumpeters Lullaby, as the anonymous player was quite excellent.

I was looking on the internet for ideas to help Eliot Spitzer (hows that for a name dropping) with his upcoming report on global warming, and I knew he needed some celebrities to endorse his progressive policies on global warming, and I came across my old friend (I wish) Kevin Bacon, whose band I have heard several times live. It turns out he lives in New York City, his father was a city planner and his mother was a liberal activist, and he has already come out with a global warming awareness campain of his own "Six Degrees," saying that if the global temperatures rise by six degrees, which could happen, we'd all be dead. Of course he says "This isn't a game," which can be taken on two levels, since the movie he starred in Six Degrees was based on a concept game. I called Jack D. at the Spitzer HQ and he wasnt in so they put Allison on the phone and I suggested Kevin B as a point man, and she asked if I thought he was better than Bobby Jr. and I said no, but a great number two man. Bobby Jr and Eliot are so much alike, similar approach, real substance, but Kevin is very accessible and very well known with dozens of movies behind him and would reach out to a lot of people. Allison is so cool, the kind of passionate 18 hour get it done type that Sptizer talks about and that I like to work with, and she just said "I'll get on it." I said, "Talk to you soon," and we both unhooked.

I found the following stats: The average US citizen creates 5.5 metric tons of carbon emissions per year.
16.6 million people work in and around NYC every day.
16.6 is 6% of the US population of 276 million. At 5.5 tons per person. Using that theoretial per capita rate, it would also be 6% of the total US emissions. That would be about .015% of the world's annual output of carbon emissions.
My point? That if NYC were able to showcase the green architecture movement, and eliminate and also absorb most of those emissions, it would be a dramatic example to the rest of the country, and the rest of the world. If the top 12 cities in America all were able to eliminate carbons, lets say to about 40 million people, that would be over 14% in reductions.
I got a call from Sandy Levine at the Open Center, and we were able to work out the big problem within minutes, by starting the month long program earlier at the Open Center. I pulled over on the highway and we just got it done, she was so cool too. I called Tiokasin Ghosthorse first at WBAI and then at home, and left a message that Sandy wanted to work it out another way. So I need to call Louise at Ottawa and say I'm a definite for the weeklong position at the Kumik, but I was given the wrong number, so I'll email her. After that huge scheduling problem magically disappeared thanks to the new age energy of Open Center's Sandy levine, I rewrote my events schedule accoringly and sent it to Kate at Skylight.
After midnight I made the decision to change the word Mitzvah on p. xiii of Native American Stories of the Sacred to Hallakha, as the Mitzvot are part of the Hallakha, and Hallakha literally means "the path we walk," which perfectly matches the other words I am examining in that section, words from around the world which mean "the red road." I also mentioned to Mark for the first the idea of me submitting to Skylight a book on "the path" as it appears in dozens of ancient cultures.In fact this discovery put me "over the top" as far as actually sitting down and doing the book. For those who are really interested, I did a 26 part series on RFPI a few years ago called The Roots of World Religion.. similar ideas.

I got a message from Mets fan SR that she has colon cancer, a sad message. Its a scary thing, and she'll have to talk to all these surgeons, so she is in my prayers. Also I got a call from another friend whose daughter in law had a difficult delivery, but seems to be pulling through okay. KH told me of a copy of the new book by James Lovelock, but it turns out it was Ages of Gaia which is an old outdated book that was republished. To this day no one has seen the Revenge of Gaia which was due out March 2nd by Penguin.


Sunday March 12th, Watched The Men Behind the Iron Mask The story of umpires, with Brooks Robinson. I didn't get to see the end but the first part was about the real old days in baseball. Overhand pitching didn't start until around 1886, and yet by 1890 you already begin to see the great overhand pitchers making their mark.

Saturday March 11th, Called EM, one of my oldest friends, whom I've known now for 37 years, and left a happy birthday message. I thank you for being you and for being who you've been in my life all these years. Happy birthday EM Crow!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home